Octoberfest it sure has been this month, you guys have been out in your droves running here there and everywhere.
Let me firstly congratulate our marathon runners John Bush on his 1st marathon, now that did surprise me with all the events he has done, Andy Stephens 2 this month and up to 10 for the year, Matthew Jones on an excellent Bronze Standard on an undulating course, Ben Ficken on completing Dublin, Frank Gardiner and Dave Green both completed the Snowdonia marathon with the later finishing in an impressive 6th place. And finally a club legend for all he has given over the years John Mckay a fantastic bronze standard at the Chelmsford marathon.
Once again a mass turnout at Wix, well done to you all who achieved pb’s its not the easiest of courses to do so. Great to see some standards from Tom Fowler, Silver and both Peter Benton and Tim Ballard achieving bronze.
Nice to see an old and new face achieving standards at the club 10 mile event, well done Nigel Smith, Silver and Jake Dakins, Bronze.
A very close finish to this years trail series and I’m delighted for Paul Carlisle who loves the off road and has consistently performed throughout this and previous years events and now has a trophy to show for it.
Cross Country is back and I’m delighted to welcome newcomers Rob Blackman, Paul Connell, Peter Benton and John Cooke to the team, and great to see those Lilly whites of Mark Ross back for team GB. In all we had 23 runners, which is great considering it’s the furthest event for us. Unfortunately we are bottom of pool A after the 1st race, but I’m confident if we can, like last year keep our attendance high we shall rise up the table.
Harwich XC is this Sunday 5th, due to work I will miss this one, but I hope as many of you as possible can attend. We do have one more this month on the 26th November, sadly not ideal after an awards ceremony but a great way to clear the head, especially as its in Colchester on Abbey fields.
PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR AWARD
Over the year I have been creating a list of outstanding performances, of course they are only my opinion and you are welcome to choose anyone, I do hope it may help you to select when it comes to voting in this category.
- Frank Gardiner– Bentley half, big pb 1:46:12 and 2nd in age category, he just keeps getting quicker with age.
- Matthew Jones – Marathon day marathon, 11 minute pb, sub 3:30 5thplace and huge potential. Followed up with a Bronze in Northumberland marathon.
- Ryan Day – VLM – debut Marathon, Bronze Standard, very fast time, 3:14.
- Graham Semple – VLM – debut Marathon, Silver Standard, great time, 3:49.
- Dave Goldsmith – VLM – big and bold attempt at another sub 3, well paced throughout and although he achieved it last year, still a Gold standard run.
- Paul Davison Halstead Marathon- Bronze Standard- 3:21:34
- Dave Green– 1st solo, 112.5 miles at HR 24. He may be naturally quick, but he has some serious endurance as well.
- Michael Simmons – 1st Half Ironman in tough conditions and 24th place in age category finishing in 5 hours and 49 minutes.
- Keith Scrivener – 5 miles completed at HR 24. An incredible display Of determination.
- John Booty – UTMB completed 50 miles of the toughest of all ultra’s
Don’t forget to get those voting slips in by the 16th November.
A tough choice as always with so many of you improving times and receiving standards, however this guy’s enthusiasm for running all distances to the best of his ability and desire to keep pushing new boundaries impresses me time and time again.
He ran a course pb at Wix, and followed this with a superb bronze championship medal, running over the required distance when surely 30 miles was enough! The smile in the picture says it all, an impressive few months of training and racing has gone into that and for me he deserves to be runner of the month.
Congratulations to Charlie Keitch